It isn't an extensive fishing rig and I never depended on it for food but I got a few nice meals out of a simple fishing kit made up of a tin can with a large cork stuffed in one end. Around this I wrapped some light line. Typically braided polyester because it doesn't coil up like mono. Inside I carried a mix set of split shot, a variety of hooks, a small float, and various artificial baits.

Usually a couple of plastic worms, small crank baits, and, the main fish getter, small feather tailed 'poppers' in bright colors. I tried using a monofilament leader but it added complexity and didn't seem to get me more fish. If I used the plastic worms more going after bass it might have helped but handlining from shore for pan fish it didn't make any difference.

Camping in scrub brush and around swamps I would usually unwind maybe ten feet of line, crimp on a couple of split shot and tie on a popper. Just tossing this from shore and working the popper with short jerks I could often pull in pan fish about as fast as I could pull the line in.

I would sometimes cut a light dead fall wood or bamboo pole and tie the line on it, A good way to catch a nap without people thinking your lazy. My walking stick made a decent pole.

I figure the kit cost maybe $15 or $20 new.