NightHiker,

That's a very well-thought out, articulate, and comprehensive post; I don't recall anybody mentioning bear bangers or electric fences on the forum, nor bringing up range cattle as a potential threat.

Though they may not be a factor in your personal risk analysis, for the sake of completeness I'd add moose to your list of potential threats.

The BLM has a report on deterring bears from work areas and facilities (BLM-Alaska Open File Report 97 Deterring Bears from Work Areas and Facilities) which is largely about electric fences.

The BC Ministry of Forests and Range has this to say about moose:

"However, charges from moose, particularly from a cow moose protecting a calf (spring) or from an ornery bull or a bull in rutting season (September) are not uncommon. Although large and of ungainly appearance, they can be extremely quick. If you come in close contact with a moose it is best to back off slowly and detour around it, keeping a nearby tree in mind if a quick escape is necessary.

In relatively densely timbered areas, injury from an attacking moose has been avoided by keeping the body between two trees spaced about one foot apart, i.e. too narrow a space to permit access by the moose because of the wider spread of its antlers."

from Safety manual: mineral exploration in Western Canada, 2002.