Originally Posted By: comms
While fire resistant it still doesn't stop the heat affecting other articles of clothing being worn under it.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this statement about Nomex not stopping heat. Nomex is highly heat resistant, but if exposed long enough to high enough temperature, your flesh will eventually burn. And in case someone gets to that point, then I would agree that it would be better not to be wearing undergarments that will melt and make your injuries even worse.

Actually, this talk of Nomex got me to thinking. Although wet clothing is a better heat conductor than dry clothing, what if the logic involves flame resistance rather than heat insulation? Nomex will burn when directly exposed to flame, but remove the flame and the burning stops. Apply flame to your clothing and it burns. What happens if you remove the flame? I would think that most clothing will continue to burn and spread. I'm also assuming that wet clothing would stop burning or burn very slowly once any direct flame is removed. Comments?