Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
But for any decent-sized animal, I think my .45 should work fairly well. The first round may not kill a bear-sized animal, but it should slow it down pretty well to allow me to squeeze off the other 20 rounds.

I might agree with you if we were talking about be attacked by a possum, but expecting a .45acp to be effective against a bear is foolish IMHO. I'd want at least a .45-70 rifle. And ten more friends with identical rifles firing at the same time.

As far as an animal attack, I've just never really worried about it. If that rare rare event ever happens to me, well, I guess I'm just dead then. It was my time. At least the buggers that killed me would be able to eat well for several weeks. Human predators scare me much more. Lightning scares me much more.

Have you ever been bear hunting?
I haven't, but I have friends who have been and they will use a dog or two and chase the bear up a tree, and then shoot it. Even normal house dogs chase bears up trees, bears are afraid of most people and dogs and will FLEE! Even bears in campgrounds are known to do this... but they are also known to stick around and ignore people all the while ripping your car to shreds to get a candy bar left on the front seat wink

*normal* bears are not some crazy human killing animal that will hunt you down and kill you. Some may be, and those are the ones you need to prepare for... but talking about needing 10 guys and a minimum of a .45-70 is pretty ridiculous unless you are out hunting polar bears or a known man killing grizzly.

IMHO firearm caliber is dependent upon the bear species one is either HUNTING or preparing to defend against. So this may be another topic entirely smile

Personally... for around my house I carry a .357 mag revolver w/buffalo bore hard cast led. I want to get an ultra-light .44mag for hiking trips eventually but for now I`m happy with my 357. Around here we have black bear, and I've scared them off by yelling at them.

Edited by Todd W (09/09/09 01:41 AM)