Originally Posted By: dweste
Todd W, what do you think would happen if you were seen burying or digging up a 5 gallon bucket in an urban setting? Or if one was found by a gardener or park guard?

I'm thinking we need to focus on using resources that exist in the urban setting. Perhaps the kind of thing that exists in most cities so when traveling you can create a stash nearby?

Edit: Putting a bucket in an existing storage location that will almost certainly not be disturbed, for example.

That's a really tough call. There's plenty of urban-"wilderness" interface. For example, if I'm in Los Angeles (say Marina del Rey) and I want to get to resources in North Hollywood during a civic disturbance (earthquake optional), I'd be insane to try to walk the freeways. Going overland seems a much more sensible choice (let's conveniently forget that it can take three hours to fight your way through a half mile of chaparral). A wildland cache might be reasonable under those circumstances.

However, given those circumstances, my main concern is going to be water. Not going to be caching that.

Now, if I'm in Manhattan and I want to get to Brooklyn, everything changes. And that's a walk many have made during an emergency, even without a serious EDC. The supplies for those walks were often "kept" in the shops that stayed open while pedestrians were enroute.

So what do you want to stash, and for how long? Keeping a train station storage locker for more than a few days would be problematic, especially if firearms or large sums of money are part of the kit.