Originally Posted By: PC2K

Actual preparedness education has very little effect. This makes it very hard for any organisation to change human behavior. So i agree with the guy on what the ideal world would be. But how?

This isn't a very developed thought - but the preparedness on this site didn't spring from no where. Most of us had an Aha! moment after a storm, fire or accident. Some of us picked it up in the military, or in training for specialized jobs (EMT, firefighter, oil field worker) where from the first day we got it. Granted a fair number of us were raised in a preparedness environment, which if everyone still came from such a place the situation might be different. Many folks though have their scariest preparedness moments behind the wheel along I-405 every morning - where's my coffee, calling the office on my cell phone, better turn up the heat or AC some more. All while driving along at 45 mph 20 feet behind the next Chevy Tahoe, no concept of the everyday proximity of death and danger outside their moving door. You want to foster the Aha! moment in people who otherwise won't get it - because if they don't have a moment of clarity, when disaster strikes they will be waiting for the chow line to form on the street corner, or to pillage their neighbor's supplies.

So start with something small, and immediate - hurricane season, tornado alley for some, winter storms and floods in the North. The weather, as bad as it can get. Most people get that. If its a regular event, more people will get ready, or at least readier than they were.

Edited by Lono (09/08/09 12:45 PM)