Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
[quote=MDinana]
One issue not raised so far is storage temperature. If this is a car FAK that stays in the car when you go to work then temperature matters a lot. I'd need not less than 20F - 160F tolerance and many medicines aren't rated for that. Even adhesives in bandages might have problems.

You actually hit one big nail on the head in the EMS world. There was an article a few years back (JEMS or Annals of Emergency Medicine, or something) talking about just that. LOTS of departments don't cool their storage bays, or they send their units to post at substations or in parking lots. There actually is a BIG difference on medicine efficacy based on how hot it gets. So, for all the states getting >90 degrees on a regular bases, the recommendation was to change the meds out frequently. I forget all the dirty details, but the end result was something like 1/3 of the original efficacy of some meds. It was amazing. It also blows my mind that the article got almost zero press at that time in terms of changing habits.

Actually, having 2 threads, while not a bad idea, also amounts to teaching first aid via online course. I could see this being problematic in several ways. Number one, it opens legal liability to both the advise-giver, and potentially DR as well. Number 2, it deprives several people of financial reimbursement should many folks use said info (mainly, DR as the web host, and whoever writes the stuff). Number 3, some of this stuff you just have to do hands-on. I'm sure there are more reasons. If you're truly interested in the theoretical/book knowledge, there are tons of resources out there: Boy Scout first aid merit badge book, US military training manuals (and one would assume other national militaries as well), all sorts of stuff at any decent bookstore, every dinky FAK from the store has some sort of pamphlet, etc.

Having said that, I think it's probably fair to say that most of the trained folks on the board don't have problems lending piecemeal advice, but none of us would want to "train" online and give someone false confidence that could later lead to harm of another.