Martin:
after reading your post it got me to thinking. I as many on this forum went down to New Orleans to help. (actually we were stationed in Baton Rouge and flew down New Orleans several times a day) The very first thing I notice was the utter failure of the local services, and the county and state wasn't much better.

Today I tryed to find out where I stood if my neighbors and my self need any help. We stand alone I live in a small city (2years as a city) and as I found out today not much has been done, There is a county plan and a staste plan but there is not as of yet a city plan. I am good for at least a week plus on food and I have a 1500 gal pool in the back yard and one more pool in the neighborhood. I went to Wal Mart and bought and replaced all my back yard lights with solor lights(about $3.00 ea.) so now I have food,water and light.
I have a lot of camping gear so shelter and cooking is taken care of, but if it is a long duration problem or I have to bug out we go to plan #2. We have several older women (older than me anyway) that have lost there mates and will need help, but we also have a lot of young strong males to take care of that problem. We have reglar block meeting and I try to get them to be prepared and I think a little has sunk in but only the next problem will tell. As far as the community goes as I stated before WE stand alone.

Plan #2
I have two ways out of my area, I know how to get around the bridges if they are down. And I can get water out of the San Diego river (1.2 Miles.) I also have people I know in each of the directions I would be going and I will have enought stuff so as not to be a burden on them, and may be of some help to them.

To answer your last question "could I stay in my house for 5 days " you bet, and take care of my neighbors also.