Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Do you really, actually truly have the capacity to live in your home with no electric, water or heat for 5 days?

Heat isn't the problem - I got lots of blankets. Cooling is the hard problem to solve.

I've got 30 days "lifeboat" food & water in the house aside from whatever normal food I have. There are 7 days of the same in a crate in the back of the car - with other emergency gear - and 2 days in the driver's door storage (and another 2 days in the passenger's door).

I've been without electricity for weeks three times after hurricanes so that's doable.

I have a lot of work to do, but I think I'm at the point where in a community disaster I can wave off responders for a couple of weeks with "no I'm not having fun but I'll live - check the lady next door".

My "personal disaster" approach is a little different since I'm in a wheelchair and live alone. I place greater emphasis on signaling and waiting for a responder than most people should.

PS. the car kit isn't a BoB but rather a reduced version of the home survival-in-place kit. The point is that I spend a lot of hours each week away from home and I want the bare essentials with me.