Originally Posted By: GoatRider
That's the old "security by obscurity" mode of thinking. "If nobody knows how to break into the cockpit, then they're safe, right?"

Better off shining the light of day on any problems so they'll have pressure to fix it.

Perhaps.

All I was trying to say is that we (meaning Joe Q. Public) don't necessarily need to know those kinds of things. Didn't mean to imply that we should bury our heads in the sand. I just don't know if a broadcast show like that is the best way to get the shortcomings out. Earlier in the program there was a security expert or somebody like that who was commenting along the lines of security being so much greater than before that any hijackers now would be much more sophisticated and prepared. By openly broadcasting those flaws, are we running the risk of giving the less sophisticated hijackers ideas? That was kind of the premise behind my comments. The same thing could be said about the knives they used. If it plants the idea in some bad guys head, I think that's a bad thing.

I guess the bottom line is that no matter how hard we try, we cannot protect everyone from everything. If someone wants to break into your house badly enough they will find a way no matter how many different flaws are pointed out to you in your home security. You can keep fixing them and having new ones pointed out to you and fixing them and having them pointed out to you and fixing them ...... The best thing you can do is to make it as difficult as possible for them. Then they go on their way.

LW