Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
[snip]Now, I am not saying DONT act, particularly if its your own child; I am just saying that, well, we arent superheroes-we let adrenaline take over, and the situation can potentially have a far worse ending.
Barring finding someone in my home, attempting to abduct my own kids, which is a whole different scenario, I would have to agree with Susan; Get as much info as possible-call 911 IMMEDITATELY
[snip] IMHO, its best to call 911 IMMEDIATELY and report what youre seeing, before the person gets away. Cell phones are amazing technology; utilize it. There is no worrying about hitting someone else with stray rounds.

I think this is generally superb advice. But I'll throw out a few contrarian thoughts. First, I'd be very hesitant to shoot at any vehicle, especially one in motion. It's a very tough shot, perhaps less likely to disable the vehicle than you'd imagine, and it really raises the risk of bystanders getting hurt. Cars can do far more more damage than bullets, and streets and parking lots tend to be busy, chaotic places.

Second, I have what I call the "Mini-Mart Rule," which states "you might find me dead in a mini-mart, but you won't find me dead in the cooler of a mini-mart." In other words, I may or may not choose to resist or intervene in a holdup (probably not), but I will virtually always resist being moved or going to a second place at gunpoint.

Experience amply demonstrates that this is a potentially "game over" point of no return, one that dramatically increases the odds of getting killed. Likewise, very few children survive to return home from a kidnapping. Therefore, applying the rule, I would not allow a kidnapper to take a child away if I thought a)there was a reasonable chance to prevent it, AND b)I also thought that the cops were not likely to arrive very promptly.

Getaways can happen in seconds. Thereafter, the perp may get caught eventually, but the kid is likely gone. Some cops frustrated by these sorts of situations have bitterly remarked that their department's motto ought to be changed to "we arrive just after the nick of time" or "when seconds count, we arrive in minutes." I would not like my carefully noted description of the kidnapper to be used against him - at his murder trial.

Third, intervening by use of a firearm does not equate to discharging that firearm. In fact, the large majority of armed confrontations do not involve a discharged weapon, but only a presented one. Although you absolutely must be ready, willing and able to shoot if you present your firearm, you don't actually have to. Indeed, you often find, after drawing your weapon, that you can't shoot. This may be due to the lack of a reasonable shot, other persons in your line of fire, psychological factors, or other reasons.

Just my $0.02. But, overall, I'd say that the best advice remains what Old Solder wrote: "its best to call 911 IMMEDIATELY and report what you're seeing, before the person gets away. Cell phones are amazing technology; utilize it. There is no worrying about hitting someone else with stray rounds."

Edited by Jeff_M (09/02/09 09:09 PM)