If you intervene in an abduction, you better be ready to take a life. The reason I say that, I have intervened in an abduction. No, I didn't shoot anyone but it did get physical, it was scary and it was the worst fight of my life.

That's coming from a guy that bounced some of the biggest honkey tonk bars in "real cowboy country" in the U.S. Yea, I've been in a few fights.

I was in high scool, 17 years old and driving home from school one day when I noticed a car on the other side of the road with 2 young girls about 8-10 years old and a stereotypical frail, little old blue haired lady standing on the curb by the car. One little girl was screaming for help, the little old lady was screaming at the driver of the car to "let her go" and the driver was hanging onto the other girl by the arm trying to drag her into the car. I pulled over and ran to the car, asking the little girl do you know him? as I approached.

She said no and the driver bailed out of the car and came at me. He was a full grown man probably mid to late 30's. Again, I was a 17 year old kid. This was over 25 years ago before the age of cell phones, internet, and instant access to sex offender registries. (You should look up your area online for your own safety by the way)

He came at me and the fight was ON. At a couple points he tried to break away and flee but by that time I was hurting, pissed off and knew he was up to no good. I was NOT going to let him go. Someone in a nearby house called 911 and the police finally arrived. I was conseravitely, actively fighting the man for 10 to 12 consecutive minutes.(That's a damn long time to spend rolling around on the ground getting hit, kicked, gouged and bit if you've never done it.) I was black and blue for a while.

The aftermath: the cops determined he was a known child molester. He tried to lure both girls into the car and the old lady happened to walk up as it was happening and interfered. Being afraid of getting caught again, he admitted to the cops he tried to "disable me from identifying him and then get away." The cops never even mentioned the possibilty of me being charged with assault or anything like that. He was arrested on the spot and went to jail. I never heard another word about it. Of course things were different then. Now days you get sued if a criminal falls and breaks his leg breaking into your house. And he wins in court.

Just food for thought, if you were to get involved with something like this, chances are it's a repeat offender who will NOT want to get caught again and may be very desperate. Desperation = danger.