I think one of the main issues with eating mushrooms, barring the "shark attack" stories (people dying, etc, from misidentification), is that, with the exception of a few varieties, a LOT of the poisonous ones look similar to non poisonous ones-and, once poisoned, there really isnt any way to rid yourself of it, IIRC. Once its consumed in a large enough quantity, your goose is cooked, so to speak.
Now, this is likely true for most plants as well-but, for the most part, there are some distinctive, easily identifiable differences between poisonous varieties & their edible cousins; enough to keep you from getting sick, or worse, if you are following your guide.
Mushrooms are not to my liking-I can identify exactly 3; puffballs, chicken of the woods, and tinder fungus. Two of which are edible. But, I think only in the most EXTREME case would I eat the first 2 (I dont think tinder fungus is edible), as I despise them. But, sometimes, beggars cant be choosers.
It would be nice to find a local mushroom expert, and spend a day identifying them! Just for the experience.