From the clips I have seen, he seems to stress a lot about the mental factor, which is something that I think seems to get glossed over. One thing I dont get though-why is it always someone with some sort of SF training that has to show this? Those of us who have served, know full well that ANY survival training you get, is simply designed for you to stay alive & hidden long enough for your forces to find you-or make your way back. Not taking anything away from it, but MY choice for an instructor would be one that does this on a regular basis-the US military doesnt typically drop their troops off in the middle of nowhere, without food, to "survive". Their main goal is to fight-if they find themselves in a survival situation then, yes, they are expected to live off the land-this isnt something that is normal to them though, as it usually means you are on Plan B (run away!!!) and something bad has happened.
I know that they get theatre specific survival training (during the first Gulf war, I went through a week long desert survival class, taught by SF, in Yakima WA), and they stressed the same thing; your survival depends on your locality and proximity to friendly forces. If locals are hostile (and you usually treat them as if they are), then you shouldnt contact them. Your survival LARGELY depends on moving back to safety, staying hidden, and staying hydrated. But, I digress...
I want to check this out. I thought it looked interesting, the fact that they are taking real-world scenarios (earth quakes, plane crashes, etc), and using them as a teaching experience. These are the most likely scenarios any of us would encounter-not a post-apocalyptic world. I am looking forward to this one!

On a side note; what does the sudden prevalence of all these survival shows tell us about our future, both as a country, and as a race? Should we start wearing tin foil hats now?!?!?! smile