I've been rethinking my EDC (preparedness is a journey, not a destination, right?) and I'd like a reality check:

I mentioned that I had room to carry a full PSK in my every day bag, but the more I think about it, the more it feels like carrying a shotgun in case I see a mouse. (I've learned over the years that this kind of obsession is usually my subconscious poking me in the ribs.)

The most extreme situation I can imagine running into on my daily travels is my car going off the road into a gully or canyon, having to abandon the car and everything in it, and being stuck in the gully/canyon at night in the rain and cold while waiting for the rescuers I called on my cell phone to find me. (I live in San Diego, so we're only talking 40 degrees, not sub-freezing.)

In that case I am more likely to need first aid stuff than fire starting or fishing stuff.

I already EDC a lighter, cell phone, Mini-Mag, pocket knife and multi-tool. I'm thinking I should put the PSK in my GHB, put a small FAK in my shoulder bag and add:

* Spare Battery
* Space Blanket/Heat Sheet
* Large Garbage Bag (smaller than an Emergency Poncho)
* Whistle
* Small Mirror (both for signaling and for self-examination)

Anything else you'd recommend?

And are you all interested in further ruminations as I develop my preparedness? It's all pretty new and exciting to me, but I realize it's old hat to most of you, and I don't want to be annoying. smile