Aaaaah, Kukulkan - I thought about that but wasn't going to go there....but then, I'm vegetarian & fish only.

I really think she got scarred and had a 'damn the torpedos' attitude on where to drive - the road in that area is sandy and difficult for most to drive on, and it wasn't repaired after the 2004 floods. It's also part of the wilderness area - so, if her GPS had a road still going there on it that explains the reason for driving down there in the first place.

It's a very sad thing to have happened to a family, I really hope we can help others by geting the word out in our own way on why this type of thing can be avoided - I'm all for people going on trips to the desert - even safe and sane off-highway road trips with the family in the all-time 4wd urban safari vehicles (yikes!), but really, they can do safe trips on dirt roads (within reason) which will open their eyes to how beutiful open space is out there and then perhaps they will vote on bond issues that help out public lands! What's that? Oh - ok, I'll get off my soap box now, sorry...