I think we're looking at this problem the wrong way.<br><br>The objective is to have tools at hand that are useful in a survival scenario, but which cannot be used as weapons, either to intimidate or cause bodily harm.<br><br>Knives are out, period. So the problem requires a little out-of-the-box thinking. My plan for "safe" cutting tools on aircraft:<br>1. Heavy duty paramedic shears. These can do a lot of serious work, but they're useless as a weapon (designed to NOT cut the patient), and are recognizable items to security/police types and flight staff. They're part of my first aid gear, so they're in an appropriate context. As well, they're also cheap enough to abandon with a smile if security insists. (I prefer to grind off the "slider" portion at the end of the bottom blade, making a perfect blunt half-moon to match the top; they're more versatile this way.)<br>2. A six-inch reciprocating saw blade (get a thicker "demolition blade," metal cutting variety, in the finest tooth size available). I grind and sand both ends to a half-moon shape that's comfortable in my palm. It really can't be used as a weapon, there's no point, there's no sharp edge, but it can cut and shape almost any material with a bit of patience, and used by hand it's quite indestructible. Security never even checked this one before 9-11, and I think you can make a reasonable case for it today.<br>3. Other useful related items. A diamond file (quite coarse) to shape materials in a longer-term situation, a 4-inch vise grip as improvised handle, and leather gloves to protect hands from rough handles and materials.<br><br>Does this sound like a rational alternative?