Originally Posted By: bojr
Question: does one get (and trust) the vaccination or wait and see if you get infected since the “cure” seems to be effective?

The subject of vaccines can be polarizing. I'm not an MD but making an honest attempt to find the facts, sticking to the scientific literature and avoiding the pseudoscience and speculation, I have to conclude that your almost always better off getting, and getting your family, vaccinated. I don't for a second buy into the idea that vaccines are part of some conspiracy or plot.

It your not in the hardest hit demographic, young, old, fat, sick; you may feel like you can slide by. Good luck.

I will be getting vaccinated as soon as a vaccine is available. While your at it you may be able to get vaccinated in a way that might save you from the swine flu before a swine flu vaccine becomes available.

Read: http://scienceblogs.com/mikethemadbiologist/2008/08/bacterial_and_influenza_the_st.php

Seems a major proportion of those who died in the 1918 flu died from bacterial infections which caused pneumonia. The flu knocked out their immune defense system and the bacteria closed in for the kill. Most pneumonias come from "Streptococcus pneumoniae for which there is a highly effective vaccine". This is something you could do now.