Originally Posted By: RoverOver
The first thing to do is Attract Attention,That spare tire would burn quite readily,& The Black smoke would indicate some serious problems were happening.That whole area is frequented by Military Patrols,Rangers,& Most of all Miners,of whom many live on their claims,not to mention everyday explorers/trekkers!Smoke can be seen for Many,Many Miles in the desert,especially Black Smoke.I was in the Chinamans Ranch area aprox.25 miles east as the crow flies,just last week,& we converged on a backtrail,when we saw smoke from a Spot fire,probably 10 miles away,when we arrived,there were about 30 other vehicles there,before us,A family RV was stuck,& they lit a spare tire ablaze.Many more people were on their way there,as we were heading back.Remember this-Fire Attracts Attention! Just my 2 cents!

Great point, thanks. Especially when you've got a flat to burn.

Monday morning quarterbacking after an incident like this is quite different from being in the unimaginably stressful situation, in 100+ degree heat (or freezing), worrying for your child. Most respect that.

The sober "after-action report/analysis" is how people learn and hopefully prevent some others from repeating the mistakes.

I'm still not clear on how much water one woman, a child and a little dog should have with them in Death Valley in summertime - if you stayed on the highway as most people do.

I've driven across country a few times -- in a 1969 Mustang and a Miata. Just me and a dog in the Miata. Just me in the Mustang (no cell phone on that trip). We didn't drive across Death Valley but we were going across Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado. Interstates mostly, top temps in the 80s or 90s. But still I should have been more prepared than I was. I recall "Next Service Station 100+ miles" signage. I've been lucky, so far.

That Mustang had 205,000 miles on a newly overhauled engine. On the first day I pulled off in Idaho after smelling gas. Everything seemed fine and I didn't notice any more gas odor the rest of the trip. Got to DC a week later and 3 of the 4 bolts securing the carburetor to the engine were missing. The gasket was holding it together.

For my dog's sake I should carry more water than I have. For myself I usually had only a soda from the last fast food place we'd stopped at.

Is there a particular survival guide that peops here would recommend keeping in the car?

Obviously a book can't predict every nuance of a situation we might find ourselves in but basics like signaling and things to consider such as whether to stay with the vehicle would be helpful. Could be a useful touchstone if your mind is racing. Or at least give a panicky passenger something to read. Or provide tp.

Edited by Dagny (08/12/09 05:44 PM)