Towels in the bath, big fluffy beach towels for drying off.

Towels in the kitchen. Tea towels for wiping spills, drying dishes, handling hot pots.

Towels in the shop. Ratty tea towels and cotton rags for wiping parts, counters tools and hands.

Towels for first aid. From bandannas through triangular bandages to bulky bath towels for everything from wound dressing to splint padding. Towels for wrapping ice packs in, they keep you from freezing your patient's skin.

Towels for the car. Ragged ones for wiping dip sticks, windshields, head lights and brake lights. Bulky ones for padding things that you do not want rattling around when driving. (and a wool blanket for the same job as well as first aid, or warmth if stranded).

Towels for padding under peoples heads or feet when resting.

The list of uses goes on and on. Obviously I use towels a lot and have different types from silk bandannas to huge cotton beach towels available.

I am not greatly dependent on synthetics. Straight cotton has a lot of advantages. Cotton is quite absorbent for example, Cotton is also good at insulating from heat when it is dry.
Cottons disadvantages are mostly that it can catch fire and that it is hard to dry. If it stays damp it gets moldy too.

With microfiber I worry about them melting if they touch anything hot.
I do have microfiber towels in my emergency and camping gear simply because they are easier to dry and do not get moldy like cotton does.
Cellulose towels like the artificial shammies are a fair compromise sometimes.

I agree with Douglas Adams about always knowing where your towel is.