Today, for the first time ever, I corrected a post strictly because of a grammatical error. We all have our little quirks, I write professionally, so some things drive me batty. I'll let you in on my two "nails on a chalk board" writing errors.

1. Effect/Affect.

When I see something like this:

"The change to digital television didn't effect us, because we use cable TV." it's like I just heard a shotgun blast at three feet without my hearing protection.

The correct way to phrase that sentence is, "The change to digital television didn't affect us, because we use cable TV."

Think of it this way - effect is used to describe what the initiator of the action did, affect is use to describe what the action did.

So, for example, "The changes effected by the FCC to implement digital television have affected everyone who does not have cable television."

Or, "He effected changes to the office policies that affected everyone."

Or, "The affected areas will need to be decontaminated with an effective disinfectant."

Well, now that that's out of the way, let's move on to the next area that annoys me to no end.

2. Quotation mark abuse.

A pair of quotation mark is never used for emphasis:

Please do "not" close the door. (This is horrible).
The "fire exit" is to the left.

Quotation marks are used to indicate a quotation - like this:

"Marty seems to have gone off the deep end with his post about grammar on the equipped board", said co-moderator Charlie.

If you're not quoting someone, or to indicate a specific use of a phrase, then you are actually using quotes to negate your statement or to indicate sarcasm.

For example, you want to convey that a politician is not honest:

Well, we all know how "honest" he has been in office.

Or, when you want to indicate that something you're saying is intended as a sarcastic statement:

We just "love" when it rains all week long when camping out.

You can certainly know if you're abusing quotation marks by saying the words "So-called" or "it isn't really" or "not really" right where you see the first quote.

They make the (so-called)"best" cakes.

This way to see the (it isn't really) "finest" example of woodcraft.

Increase your energy with a (not really)"healthy" snack.

I strongly advise everyone to see http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/
for many more examples.

Oh, my meds are kicking back in. OK, I'll stop now.

Thank you, carry on.

Edited by martinfocazio (08/10/09 12:43 AM)