Originally Posted By: EDC_Jon
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Unless you've exhausted all the Tolstoy, Homer, Dickens, Aesop, Vonnegut, Norman Mailer, Jones and all the masterpieces of world literature I see little need to pollute one's mind reading some second-rate wannabe-survivalist novels. Not to sound cynical but time is too short and looking after one's mental hygiene is important these days (too much TV! wink ).

Also, getting too much into all this survivalist mindset is bad because if anything catastrophic does happen, you will probably do as you are conditioned to (deliberately or unconsciously). Like grabbing the guns and running to the hills, which might really be the worst option of all.

After having lurked on the forum for quite a LONG time, I registered today solely to add my support to this bit of wisdom, which I see was lost in subsequent 8 pages of postings. Sometimes we forget to live while we are thinking about living.

Also, a big thanks to the board. Most of your posts have been very helpful to me in my own planning. eek grin

Different strokes for different folks.
We aren't doom and gloom, at least I don't consider myself that for sure... I may enjoy a trashy survival novel here and there but IMHO 1 Second After was not that.

Either way I disagree with the other poster who thinks you are "programmed" and can never over come that. THat's like saying you are programmed to kill your neighbor if he takes your goat... and since your grandfather's grandfather did that you have to too...