I don't want to spoil all the fun but are you guys serious with all this doom and gloom?

What do we actually KNOW about EMP and how it would affect the infrastructure? There are precious few FACTS out there. Aside from a few isolated tests, nobody knows for sure.

Would our electric appliances and electronics survive an EMP? Maybe yes, maybe not. But think about the Y2K. Before it happened, every journalist out there knew all there was to it. Nobody really paid any attention to what the real experts were saying. And it the end it was much ado about nothing. Am I the only one to see a pattern?

What is the possibility of an EMP knocking out the entire US infrastructure? From what I've been able to find out, very small indeed. If it does happen though, it will likely be caused by a deliberate high altitude detonation of a nuclear weapon. This is totally beyond the capabilities of any terrorist group at this time and could only be pulled off by one of the major world powers. So if that does happen, it will basically mean the beginning of a nuclear war. At which point, whether you can keep the medicine for your dog's rump refrigerated becomes totally immaterial because you'll have a bunch of real problems to deal with.

I'm all for preparedness but you can't foretell what specific cataclysm is going to happen next and when. All we can do is some common-sense preparation and improving ourselves, physically and mentally. But I sure wouldn't base my survival plans on the latest scare, sensationalistic journalism or mediocre fiction. YMMV.