Given that the thread is about the newest offering from Mr. Ritter and not about solving any problems during moments of sheer terror when one needs a whole lot of light, I fail to see the relevance.

Has Doug claimed that the light in his new survival pack is meant to disable would be attackers by blinding them? If so, please someone point that quote out.

Anyone relying on the flashlight packed away in a survival kit to help them survive an imminent attack by bad guys hasn't thought thru their scenarios very well. The light in question is packed INSIDE a case which is then presumably, packed into a pocket or a rucksack, possibly inside a car or other vehicle etc. If you have to resort to getting out a tiny flashlight from inside a survival kit, you've already lost the fight.

I'd suggest using the proper tools to do the proper job and carry them in such a way as to have them be available and usable when needed and to stop trying to make what seems like a decent little survival kit into a fully weaponised self defense tool.

If we want to talk about the use of a flashlight for self defense, I'll put my Pelican M6 up against anything the size of the Aeon, it may not be as bright but it's bright enough to disorient anyone and in a worsening threat scenario I can use it as a striking weapon, try that with a $295 titanium light that's "smaller than a stick of gum..." I also keep it deployed in such a way as to make it usable for such things, unlike the Photon, the Fenix, and the Minimags that I use in my survival kits.

Sorry, I'm really trying to sound so snarky I just can't see the point of changing the terms of the debate and then knocking something for not being something it never claimed to be.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen