Even more important than carrying the proper tools to defend yourself with is awareness of your surroundings. Wherever I go, I'm always looking to see what's going on around me. I'm a big fan of making eye contact with shifty-looking people, make sure they know that you see them and am prepared for whatever they're thinking of doing.

A lot of the stories you see on the news about people being robbed or worse are the same people you see walking down the street, in their own little world, staring at their shoes.

I've had many occasions where someone just looked very shady and seemed to be working up the courage to try something. 95% of the time, just standing your ground and making good, solid eye contact has made up their mind for them. It may not hurt that everyone I know says I'm a very mean-looking guy.

For the other 5% of the time, they were more than a little surprised when I drew down on them with my 9mm I used to own before I bought the .45 I carry now. I firmly believe in the "speak softly and carry a big stick" philosophy - AKA peace through superior firepower.