OK,

Thanks for the reply garrett. Just to let you know about what I was thinking. I also have seen the odds of surviving a commercial crash as not being very good, but just recently, there was one in which 20 or so people survived, I think it was overseas somewhere, can't remember off-hand. Anyways, since I will be in that part of the world, I would like to be prepared. I am not worried about knives in my stow-away, my position will allow me to have one or two. I have a friend who is a TSA Screener and after talking with him, I have let TSA make up my mind that most of my survival kit will be in stow-away.
I was thinking that in my carry-on I would bring a PFD(inflatable type) GPS, thinking about getting one of those new Personal Locating Transpoders (what-ever they are called) - new info on ETS about them, some food, water and extra clothing. I know I can not get anything but a signal mirror in carry-on so that would be my only signalling device besides maybe a panel marker. Maybe this is all too much? I don't know, again it is that Boy Scout in me that takes over some time. In a ditching event I can all but count my survival kit in stow-away gone, unless it floats to the surface and it remains in one piece, bringing a Pelican case for that one. Over land and if the fire doesn't get it, I may be able to salvage something. I can always hope for the best. In a catastrophic event, no need to worry, hope that I'm close to the event so I go quick. What else is there?