Oh, OK

Well I am not an extremely seasoned traveller, but I do fly quite a bit both on business and vacation. I can tell you that TSA regs are pretty strict and they will take away any sharps you have. My wife and I have lost a few knives, just forgetting to take them out of bags. I do know that TSA will allow you to check your sharps and you can pick them up later or something.

When I fly, I just have to do without any kind of knife/matches/whatever. My rationale is that there haven't been too many survivors lately of most airline crashes so if there is an emergency, then I guess I am going down with the ship. I do however pack my knives (I carry a swisstool RS and a SpyderCo Rescue or SAK Huntsman) on the very top of my checked bags so the second I get them from the luggage claim area, I pull them out and put them on.

If you are travelling abroad, I would check with the local regulations about blades. Some countries won't allow you to have a blade of X inches long, or you cannot have a locking blade or an assisted opening blade.

With the state of alert the way it is, it makes it very difficult to carry your normal preparedness items, so I make do with what I can and hope the plane doesnt crash.

Just FYI, all I carry is a small carry on bag of some sort, a flashlight (LED type), a whistle, a water bottle, a book and maybe some motrin or something in my shave kit.

I hope this helps,

Garrett