Something similar happened to me. I went to DW office to bring her a cup of coffee. Seconds before I walked in the door, she had slipped on a stair seriously damaged her ankle, probably broken (it was) and massively swollen already, not to mention tremendous pain.

She was lying on the ground with 5-6 people attempting to provided comfort or gawking. Someone had run off to get some ice.

I got her laughing and out of fear of shock while the ice arrived but no way to attach it to a swelling foot. My EDC pack nearby provided a buff headwear that I used as a temporary hold then grabbed a shirt hanging on the wall as a secure dressing. Her medical insurance did not cover ambulance travel and we did not want to incur a several hundred dollar bill for a three mile trip to the ER.

As we picked up DW to go to the hospital she got woozy and we had no way to carry her to our van. I recalled the office plan and had someone run and get a rolling office chair and we sat her in that for transport.

I suppose its tooting my own horn, but the next week when she went back, the staff couldn't believe how calm, cool and MacGuyer I was in an emergency of my own wife.