On a completely different slant, have you seen the Logitech Harmony universal remote controls? I have a Harmony 880 (they've hopefully improved the charger base contacts and now sell the 890 model) and it is set up EXACTLY as you describe.

You log into the Logitech Harmony web site, tell it what kind of gear you have (it must have an AMAZING list of potential gear, because it had everything I have - even my old dusty Kenwood receiver from the early 90's.

It asks if it needs some extra information it just asks - like which TV video port the DVD player is plugged into

It offers a standard suggested setup, then you can go to town customizing it as you wish using fairly well-written guides (I use the default but did play a bit one time), and then when done you connect the remote to the PC using a USB cord and press Download to download the settings.

It is really very well done. Since you log in, it remembers your gear and settings so you don't have to redo it all if you want to make a change - like when you buy a new TV.

They're not cheap, but they are VERY well thought out. I couldn't recommend them more.