I too believe in compassion for my fellow man, and I count charity as one of the highest ideals of humanity. However,while I will vehemntly support your right to your opinion, I will with even greater resolve oppose any notion that we as a society or as individuals should be obligated to abrogate the risks taken by others. That one or even many may feel so inclined to give from their abundance to see to the welfare of those who choose not to mind to their own needs and responsibilities should never become the basis by which all with the means to do so should be likewise compelled by law or regulation. Unfortunately, in these times such inclination has become commonplace; and so what I and those likewise blessed with an abundance in life might freely offer to those who's judgement seems lacking is compulsorily taken from us, and thus charity becomes diminished, replaced with simple extortion.

In the analogy given, and as with myriad similar situations, it is unfortunate that people get themselves into such bad predicaments, and perpetuate their error by not doing something themselves to rectify the problem before it escalates into something beyond their control. Intervention by the public servant has more to do with keeping the peace and securing the public interest than with rescuing the individual from their self imposed fate.

This expectation of entitlement is nothing more than an abuse of a benefit intended to protect a community from calamity in the course of normal and mundane activities, not to indemnify individuals against irresponsible behavior, which is increasingly invoked these days.