Here is the reply from my local Senator in Colorado:
===================================
Dear <Name>:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the U.S. Customs and Border Protection policy on switchblade knives. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recently announced that it intends to alter a portion of the Switchblade Knife Act of 1958 to forbid certain types of knives with spring-assisted opening mechanisms. The policy was announced in early May and was followed by a period of discussion for 30 days, ending July 21, 2009.

I share your concern over the impact of this policy on the knife industry and knife owners in Colorado. Though the policy would forbid certain types of knives with spring-assisted opening mechanisms on a Federal level, Colorado Criminal Code currently prohibits these knives. Specifically, in Sections 18-12-101 and 18-12-102 of the Colorado Criminal Code, switchblades are deemed illegal and defined as any knife, the blade of which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in its handle.

Should this issue be discussed in the Senate, I will keep your views in mind.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.

For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Michael Bennet
United States Senator
===============================================

How would you best clarify this for Senator Bennet?