I've just read all three articles which chronicle the events leading to his rescue and the view of the major in charge of the fish and game dept. that critiscised him for heading back up the mountain ,seems a little harsh when taken into context about the reason for heading back up to the observatory. Its easy to comment in the cold light of day and sat in a comfy chair but it appears that although he went off trail he had checked with the local experts that the potential routes were open(the lad stated that he knew the area). This does not seem negligent to me (going alone is another matter though) and it was only when he realised that the alternate route was dangerous that he headed to what he judged as the most likely chance of rescue (the observatory).

although the only source is the newspaper article the accounts do vary a bit,

"Mason was negligent in continuing up the mountain with an injury and veering off the marked path, Acerno said. Negligence, he said, is based on judging what a reasonable person would do in the same situation.

"When I twist my ankle, I turn around and come down. He kept going up," Acerno said."

According to the lad he did come down when he had a "light sprain", by the alternative route he had checked, only heading up when he realised it was blocked/dangerous - seems pretty reasonable in the circumstances.

Anyway - glad he is ok and hope the fine gets sorted.