Actually, I think there'd be a much better chance of acquiring food and potable water in urban setting. Even if municipal water is no good, bottled water is going to be common enough at least for a short period, but probably long enough to do a bug out. I work in downtown Denver and live 35 miles away. I also take the train because driving in is just not an option. I can't keep a bicycle at work, so that means if the bubble goes up I have to walk out. I cannot keep a decent bug out pack with me, so security becomes an issue, as does comfortable ambulation. I have some decent routes to take, but it's all afoot unless I manage to get a ride. In any case, I would first be looking for a means of defending myself, then a way to comfortably carry whatever gear/supplies I can scrounge up that I would need. I don't need a compass or a map. I will need a flashlight. I can start out with a backpack with a couple quarts of water and at least two days worth of food, or a lot more if I smash the vending machines on my way out the door. I always have my edc with me, which includes multi tool, 2 LED pocket lights, lighter, laser pointer, and money.

After that it is pretty much the clothes on my back, and the rest I will probably find/acquire along the way. If I had to shelter in place, I have no doubt I could get by here for at least a week, more likely two.