Originally Posted By: Todd W
Originally Posted By: Desperado
JIM,

How do you rate the Petzl E+Lite?

I have been looking at them since they were released, but have not been sure.

I`m curious too! They are super light weight and I was thinking about one for light weight backpacking as a secondary /backup light.

I have the Petzl Zipka Plus 4-LED Headlamp but it's pretty heavy as a secondary light for trying to keep light weight wink

I EDC the petzel e+lite and still have my Tikka Plus for around the house use. So I will answer this.

The e+lite is a very good light for its size. it comes in a semi-rigid red plastic carry case. The lid is water resistant and sets on the body by a round stretch band. After hundreds of in/outs the band has not lost any compression. The case has a belt loop.

the e+lite is quite small. About the size, width and depth of an adult male thumb from mid-joint to tip. The light swivels so the lights can face a rear panel that attaches the light to the comfortable shock cord head band for storage.

There is a cord lock that adjusts the tension of the head band. Any head size from adult to child can wear this band. You can also slip it on your wrist and cinch down or carry around your neck. For Halloween my young son was Ironman and I cinched it around his palm on a blink setting so it looked like repulsor beams.

There is a metal clip to take the light off the head band and attach to the brim of a hat. The light can then be swiveled 360*.

There are four lights, three white in a triangle and one smaller red in the center. The unit has 7 settings activated by rotating a lever by thumb along the right side (as worn). 1) An off setting that is also the LOCK function. 2) low white beam 3) high white beam 4) white blinking 5) red blinking 6) red beam 7) off.

As a backup light, I am totally sold. This is not a primary light for anything more than stumbling around a house or reading in bed. But having it in a pinch is why I EDC it and trust it with my life. I believe it will do a great job when called upon.

If you want something I consider dependable, small and very compact, this should go in an EDC. I also have a Nitize LED maglite and Inova photon in my EDC kit. The Nitize is considerably brighter but I prefer hands free.