Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

Minneapolis is sort of mellow..not a whole lot going on in the first place. when the freeway bridge went down a few years ago people jumped into help...

If I may comment Canoedogs, the relatively smooth Minnesota Bridge response was actually the result of a fair amount of interagency training for a response to an undefined mass casualty event, exactly the kind of preparedness that local authorities seldom get the credit for. I read about the effort last year: local authorities had drilled for mass casualty events in the preceding years, found holes in their expected response, and made it better, so that when the 35W bridge fell down they had a much more predictable response to it. Victims found their way to hospitals incredibly fast by general standards. I am sure that folks jumped in to help, but fwiw I'm happier still if the responders include trained EMTs with stretchers and the wherewithal to hoist victims back up onto the freeway, rapidly.

Now hopefully this is where someone jumps in with the comment, well, MB wasn't as smooth as all that, I'm overestimating the response effort or its success. Maybe so, but I'd rather give credit for what was there than pick apart their exact response. Watching it on TV it was evident they knew what to do.