Thank you all for your input so far!

I have decided to return the knife and will update here when I actually select the replacement. I had a chance to handle a couple new lock backs (CRKT and Leatherman) yesterday and, if the Gerber operated like them, this discussion wouldn't be happening smile. The pressure difference to disengage the lock between those models and the one I actually bought was night and day.

Also, for those interested, here's a little more background info. This will actually be his second knife, he's had a SAK for the last couple years. He's used the knife responsibly, though he did have one minor, self-inflicted injury on his first camping trip with it. But I figure that's kind of like getting your first burn from the campfire, a worthwhile learning experience as long as it's relatively minor smile.

So this is largely a case of wanting something new and different (though, admittedly, his SAK has been having some problems). All he really asked for was a new pocket knife and, after some discussion and looking at some of the available products, he asked if he could have a single blade, "old style" knife.

I actually added the lock to the requirements simply because if I was to buy a single blade pocket knife, I'd get a lock. That said, my urban EDC doesn't lock, so its not like I'm against non-locking blades in practise so I may rethink this and look more at the non-locking alternatives.

If all goes to plan we'll head out tonight to take a look, and this time a feel, at the options.

p.s. GeoEarthSensei, love the heirloom idea, too bad I didn't come across it a couple years ago!

Edited by Denis (07/13/09 05:22 PM)