Ahh, the New York Bight Scenario.

I currently live at Ground Zero for this. While not technically in New York City, I'm just over the Reynolds Channel from Far Rockaway, and the island I live on is supposed to be under 20 feet of water in any sort of hurricane hitting the NY area.

I'm a part of the local rescue squad, so I've seen all of the plans, stacked the cases of MREs, and know where the "high ground" evacuation areas are. However, my hurricane plans are very simple:

1) From June through November, check www.nhc.noaa.gov regularly.
2) When 5-day cone covers NY area: pack bags, gather documents, fill gas tanks, and in general, get ready.
3) When 3-day cone covers NY area: get in the cars and drive to one of two BOL's where we'd be welcomed (my inlaw's in the Catskills, and good friends in the Berkshires).
4) If we're late getting out, or for whatever reason it looks like we can't get through the backups in the city, we can abort to my parent's place in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Manhattan, which should be relatively safe, and is definately high ground.

I am not looking forward to needing to test any of this, however it is a much easier decision tree than when I lived in Brooklyn and would have to decide whether to stay or go. Now, I'll go. No discussion.