> Good for you. For those of us with families, this isn't an option.

I think the bigger picture is that "I would resent having to leave supplies behind because my neighbors chose not to buy and maintain their own vehicle" does not mean people _have_ to choose to buy cars in order to be responsible members of the community. While you think not having a car is not an option for you, for some people it's a responsible decision "not to buy and maintain their own vehicle." Not having a car does not fit within the statement in the original post
Quote:
Some of us choose to be prepared. Others don't.

It seems to be that some people think their rational decisions apply across the board to all people. Just as you object to people saying they get along fine without a car, others object to the apparent requirement that one buy and maintain a car to be worthy of aid in the event of a hurricane.

It appears obvious that different people have different needs and expectations and so not all "answers" are universal. Individual planning and decision-making seem to me to be good things, and coming to different decisions on how to deal with hurricanes should lead to a diversity of ideas, plans, and gear that will benefit the entire community.

Should the original poster find that all roads are blocked or that his vehicle has been wrecked or stolen, those who have no cars and who have the plans and gear to ride out the storm may be able to provide some assistance to those who remain behind. Let me turn it around: when you find you can't get out, should those who planned on staying and have the plan and materials to survive refuse to aid those who planned to cut and run? :->