You also want to look at driving range. The smaller "SUV"'s like an Elemnet may get 20-25mpg but typically have a smaller than 20 gallon gas tank. The frame based SUV's and trucks may top out at 20mpg but will have a 25 gallon or larger gas tank so they can go longer distances. Some of the smaller v6 SUV's top out at 20mpg empty then drop significantly when loaded where a v8 based truck or suv will top out at 20mpg but will only drop 1-2mpg when loaded so you need to factor that into account as well.
Also remember some of those Element like SUV's are unibody or uniframe so a minor fender bender will put them out of commission where a body on frame vehicle can usually keep going. Chances are when people are ignoring laws while running for their lives they may not care if they bump into you.

When I moved last year one of my criteria was being outside the outerbelt. I work and live outside the city outerbelt mow so I didn't want to be living inside it like before. If I ever did have to evacuate I don't have to take the major highway, I can take side roads and get around traffic.