Of course you should help your neighbors.

If you're leaving town because of a hurricane, it's not like you're going to be surprised, is it? How many days can you see a hurricane coming? If you wait till the last minute, take all the neighbors you can; Drive west for a day: are you then going to be in a jungle? Some hinterland where you'll hunt for game and worry about shelter? Or will you be in Kentucky or Virginia or some other state where there are hotels, motels, B&Bs who'll be helping the crowds leaving the coast?

Louise and I happened to be in Arizona and New Mexico when the Rodeo-Chediski fire happened, and in the West neighbors helped each other out.

> because my neighbors chose not to buy and maintain their own vehicle.

Um, I live in an area where people choose not to buy cars for a variety of reasons. Many people can't afford insurance, gas, and maintenance, not to mention the car itself. Sometimes it's not choice. Others choose not to buy because we have very good public transportation, and having a car is a waste of money. Some don't own a car because they're California fruitloops who think they're being green or something.

I cringe when I read your query whether to transport carless neighbors or your stuff. Take your neighbors, hon. They can help drive, pay for gas, pump gas in the hurricane rain, run in for food at the store while you guard your precious vehicle, and in general take care of you while you take care of them. I'm glad I'm not your neighbor.