Good to hear you came through the experience without injury NAro.

I have a similar story that happened to a co-worker. My friend was the passenger in a Turbo Beaver float plane that was landing on a remote lake. The plane was on amphibious floats and unfortunately attempted to land with wheels down. The plane immediately flipped over when it contacted the surface of the water and slowly began to sink. The pilot quickly unstrapped his seat harness then unstrapped the passanger as he was struggling to get it undone. The pilot exited the aircraft but my friends equipment belt was entangled in the shoulder harness straps, therefore holding him inside the plane. Without thinking my friend took an old Buck 110 folding knife from his belt pouch and opened it with 2 hands, but before he could cut the straps the pouch tore apart and he was able to exit the aircraft. They both survived with only minor injuries and were rescued quickly.

My friends advice was to carry a serrated one-hand folder clipped to your cargo pants pocket for use when entangled. He also advised that if your outer work belt is attached to an inner belt with keepers , to remove these keepers when flying or working on water; this will allow you to drop the outer equipment belt quickly if required.

I think I may have posted this story on ETS before, I can't remember; good advice worth repeating if I did.

Mike