I think a good knife or multitool is very important in the field or around everyday activities. What I carry depends on what I am doing though. When I work I keep a little Victorinox "classic" in my pocket, take it about everywhere. If I am backpacking on a longer trip I carry a Grohmann "Boat Knife" with a solid 4" blade in SS, keep it on the pack. I also take my old Swiss Army "Farmer". When I was in the filed for the military, I always took the "Farmer" and a Randall #1 fighting knife with a 7" blade. I began with the multitools when the first Leatherman hit the market, killed it with normal uses in 2 months. Then went for the first Gerber, the original where the handles came all the way together when trying to use the retractable pliers, Ouch!! Got rid of it shortly before the large blood blister healed! Next was the first Supertool, broke off the large flatblade screwdriver on an overly tight screw. Had it replaced and kept it in my desk at work, used the phillips blade a few times on computer screws, sent it to a young man in the Army to take to Iraq, that was the big failure, since there is no source of a replacement nearby! I have a mini and a Micro, the mini was a gift, still have never messed with it much. The micro has the blade all messed up trying to pry a watch back off to replace the battery. Not exactly what I should use the blade for, but it was handy and I know my Swiss Army knife could have done that without any problem. As for my Victorinox Swiss tool, it has opened heavy-duty boxes, put in and taken out all sorts of screws, the knife blades have cut heater hoses, steaks, rope and opened smaller packages. Not a single problem with the Swiss Tool. I just bought another and sent it to my gal's nephew in Iraq, let's see how it holds up!! Should be there in 10 days or so. Thanks for all the different perspectives on the tools guys!! Cheers!