I have mixed feelings about all this....

I've had the PST for years, and it has the annoying quality that the plier jaws have more friction than the handle joints immediately behind them; this means that you must force the plier jaws open for each shift of grip, which gets old fast. Other than that, they've been pretty good. I also have a Leatherman "mini" that has done well so far, but has never seen a lot of use.

I have to say I've been a little disappointed in the Wave. The wirecutters dented early on what I thought was a soft plastic rod that turned out to have a very thin steel wire inside... ok, that can happen, it's not meant to cut steel, but a cheap pair of dykes cut it with no problem. The knife blade does seem sort of soft, and doesn't hold an edge for long. For some reason, the plier handles seem to be loosening up over time, with a lot of side-to-side play, while the blades are getting stiffer and harder to open.

At first, I didn't think the weight was going to bother me, but over time I wonder more and more how much weight could be saved if those big, solid, cast-stainless bolsters were made of something else (there are eight of them), or if the liners were titanium instead of steel, etc.

Not totally disappointed with it, but if there were something lighter, smaller, sturdier, better steel that still had quick access to the knife blades, I'd consider it even if it cost significanly more.

Anybody else notice that Russell Crowe used what looked like a Wave for sentry removal in "Proof of Life"? All I could think is, it sure wasn't the first tool that sprang to mind for that use...