I'm also curious and interested in the AMK bivy bag, particular if it will stand up to continuous use.

It's about half the weight and slightly less packed volume of what I'm currently using, which is a combined poncho, tarp and bivy bag from the Norwegian company Jerven. Jerven products page
I'm using the original. 600 grams, roughly 21 ounces. A square 140 by 280 cm (4.5 by 9 feet) that is folded in half and closed by zippers along the sides. Use it as a small tarp, or zip it up, lie along the diagonal and use it as a bivy bag. Or use it as a poncho.

I find the philosophy of bringing one of these ponchos/bivy bags differs quite a bit from the emergency blanket or bivy bag. The Jerven products are not single use, emergency items, they are designed for continuous, rough use. I use mine almost every time I'm outdoors. Often its duty is merely being rigged as a wind block for eating our sandwiches, or as a ground cloth to augment our sitting pads. In more rough conditions we will use it as a shelter. I like this a lot better than the idea of an expendable, single use, extremely fragile space blanket... Of course, one does not exclude the other, and I am not opposed to throwing in a space blanket or two in a PSK or a pocket, as a backup.

BUT - I personally would advocate the philosophy that the items I bring with me should not only save my butt in emergencies, they should also make life more comfortable in less dire circumstances. That way I'm not only more comfortable outdoors, I also know I have the skill and knowledge of how to best use what I'm carrying. I then build confidence that I know how to use a piece of equipment that actually works... the value of that particular confidence in my skills and in my gear should not be underestimated ... The downside of that philosophy is that the gear must stand up to everyday use and abuse, and that robustness comes with a weight penalty. I can live with a weight penalty of 600 grams.

Unfortunately, due to the high costs of labor in Norway these items will be quite pricey for most international customers. My bag (the original) cost 1045 NOK, about $170 with todays exchange rates. A shame really, because the products are really good, innovative and have a very well proven track records of performing in extreme conditions. Norwegian winters, fall, spring and summer can be rather harsh...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (06/18/09 03:31 PM)