Originally Posted By: JohnN
I changed out our locks with Bilock cylinders.

That is more upgrade than I am looking for, but I'm sure works well. I agree with your thought process though. It is very close to mine. I don't mind if the intruder gets caught though. wink

My previous home had "Grade II w/ grade I features" Schlage deadbolts on exterior doors, and the keys were stamped 'Do Not Duplicate'. That does next to nothing, but it will probably stop the babysitter. Charlie bar on the sliding door, pins on all windows, locking grates on basement windows, perimeter motion lighting as well as timed lighting in and out. I always do a perimeter check before bed to 'fix' what others left undone. Getting the whole family on board takes time. Especially for the youngest. The perimeter was well visible so there were no hiding places. I also had an custom alarm system and firepower to handle intruders. I won't mention everything, but I'm comfortable with the level of security I will put into the place. I've just never been one to make up my mind on the deadbolt question.

Additional detail on the new place: The storm door already has a double cylinder deadbolt. The house does not. I'm deciding if either or both should have one at all.