As much as I hated rechargable batteries on that kind of device I think that Garmin came a long way in creating something that would hold a decent charge. With possibility of using AAs for a backup that makes it even a sweeter deal. Also Solar charger (like for example Solio) usability makes it a pretty decent outdoor model.

I think that GPS devices lately are limited by the quality (and prices) of maps. I know that typical 100K maps are decent for basic stuff but not detailed enough. 24k maps are great and better than most of the National Geo maps but they are quite expensive. I had a scare yesterday that I lost my set of topos and when looking at different websites for solution and it would have been close to $300 to replace them.

All the extra bells and whistles are nice to have and I use some for tracking progress, waking up, tides and ocassional game when there is a down time at the camp.

But in the end I want just few things: fast signal gain, maintaining signal, long battery life and clear screen. It seems that that Dakota 20 would do that job. But since my days of buying new and the best as soon as it comes out are gone I will have to wait for the review. But that bundle you linked to seem like a pretty fair deal.