Originally Posted By: LED

With all due respect, corporate wellfare is not something we should be supporting. We all lose when the taxpayer is forced to subsidize one industry over another.

Like what's happening with Wall Street?

If nothing else, we're subsizizing 2 industries...

Marty, I think you'd be OK with any of the big 3. I grew up in a Ford family, even though we've owned Chevy, Datsun and VW along the way. My personal experience has been that Fords tend to do great for about 120K miles, then problems slowly start developing. We've gotten about 180K out of every vehicle before we get a new one, though I couldn't honestly tell you how long they would have lasted. Yes, I know the allure of an Asian car lasting 200K or more is tempting, but as someone said, they mostly do that in the smaller cars. I'm kind of eyeing the market right now too, and like the Nissan XTerra, but like some of the GM and Dodge trucks too. I'd stick with an Explorer if Ford hadn't wussified it and made it a glorified minivan (personal opinion of my dad's 2007 vs my 1999 Explorer).

Anyway, given that folks can find parts to a '55 chevy, tons of classic Corvettes, or WW2 era Willy jeeps, I think you'll be fine finding parts for something that's only been out of production (if the company totally tanks) a few years.