About Thanksgiving time I purchased a new-to-me 2002 Chrysler Town & County minivan from a Chrysler dealership. I got a great deal on the van, and was comfortable that the government would ensure that the 5-year/50,000 mile warranty would be honored. Overly optimistic? Perhaps, but so far I've seen nothing to make me question the assumption.

The Town & Country has been great. Much more comfortable, if not as much fun as, the Subaru Outback that we also own. I hate that I drive a minivan (I wanted a truck) but I have to admit that it is a supremely useful vehicle that can carry my wife, kids, me and a set of grandparents in comfort, if not style. If I take out the rear bench, it swallows up a surprising amount of stuff as well.

So far maintenance has been what I would expect of a car it's age: a vaccuum line developed a pinhole from dry rot and needed to be replaced, and I'll need to spring for new tires soon.

I guess I'm saying I wouldn't discount the very aggressive pricing that is being offered by the American dealers right now, if I were looking to buy a car.