This is assuming this road rash is done in an urban setting and not back country, correct?

As someone who has had pretty severe road rashes from cycling falls the first thing is to make sure nothing is broken including helmet then get home, otherwise get a hospital.

Once the wound is wiped clean, I use tweezers for rocks, glass, etc and a irrigation syringe for some areas (hurts so good.

Then I use a first aid spray like Solarcane or Bactine to go over the whole limb. Solarcane has some topical painkillers on it like benzocain or lydacain.

Then smear a triple antibiotic ointment on a Teflon/non-stick pad and then put the pad over the bleeding areas. I'll hold the pad in place with some light gauze and tape.

Then a tall glass of brandy and call all your pals to brag. Because two days later you're going to be hurting and not nearly as willing to talk about it.

After a day or so, and no puss or drainage, go without padding and just make sure you don't bleed out on your clothes or bed. The air will heal the skin damage faster with a blister than continuously using bandages.

Some friends have used the new ointments to lessen scaring with some success but I haven't used that myself.