Originally Posted By: Todd W
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Finally, the Medeco3 lock, even with its flaw, is still more secure than the low-end Schlage, Kwickset, and Masterlocks the majority of America uses to secure their homes, buildings, ect. That's the part that scares most people. wink

It scares most people... it shouldn't.

Most door frames are weaker and if they are not the door itself is... hollow, made of fiberglass, etc. A lot of doors now days if you try to kick you put your foot through, not everyone has $800+ solid doors.

It's always fun when you see commercial buildings or other places that are doing things right (i.e. steel door frame secured into iron and concrete structure, fire-rated steel doors, window bars, fire rated glass, ect) then to see that the lock and deadbolt they are using is some piece of garbage they bought at home depot, and, worse yet, probably installed incorrectly.

I see this all the time. When the old owner or tenant moves out or a lock breaks, instead of doing the right thing and having the locksmith come to rekey the place, they just go out and buy cheap hardware. Then they're dumbfounded when a 14 year old kid with a screwdriver gets in and wrecks the place.

That's why all our buildings are alarmed and CCTV equipped. Most tenants are terrible with security, so you kind of have to help them along a bit. Still, it amazes me how even when you take the time to teach them how to use the alarm and change the code, they still never do it. When they move out the code is still the default 00000 or whatever.

With that said, bumping has become increasingly common lately, as it requires very little skill, tools to do it aren't hard to get at all, and it leaves little trace. The scary part about this is a lot of people who are a victim of this don't even realize it. They just believe they must have accidentally left the door unlocked. This can lead to further problems, say with insurance, as they usually aren't happy with stolen goods due to unlocked doors. Nowadays, at a minimum, I would want bump resistant hardware. Regardless of what the actually level of security is. Think about it, why make the noise and mess of breaking a window to get in, when you can get in and out in seconds without drawing any attention to yourself and without any easily noticeable evidence you've been there? That's what bumping offers thieves, and it's the reason why it's heavily on the rise.